National Honor Society
The National Honor Society was founded in 1921 to recognize, honor, and encourage high school students whose behavior was honorable, responsible, and generous to others. Today, the Society’s purpose is to promote scholarship, to develop leadership, to encourage service and to foster character in American students.
NHS Requirements The requirements for membership in the St. Joseph High School Chapter are as follows:
1. Have and maintain the appropriate GPA (3.7 for Honors & 4.0 for College Prep A) through graduation and no semester failures during the two previous semesters
2. Ongoing participation in at least two school related extracurricular activities (clubs, sports organizations, regular tutoring) during the previous two semesters
3. A total of 30 service hours must be completed:
- At least 15 hours of community/church service
- Must complete 10 hours of MANDATORY peer tutoring
- Plus 5 additional hours of service to SJHS
4. Demonstration of good conduct through no major violations of school rules
5. Obtain three letters of recommendation from faculty members or administrators, however, one of the three may be substituted by an adult involved in an off-campus service project/program.
6. Submit a typed essay of 300 to 500 words detailing:
a.The reason for your application to the NHS,
b. Your educational and personal goals,
c. How you satisfied and will continue to satisfy the four qualities of an NHS member: Scholarship, Character, Leadership, and Service;
7. Complete an interview with the NHS Faculty Council.
8. Once accepted into NHS you will have to pay a $25.00 membership fee.
For further information, contact Ms. McGleam (email@example.com).